Sunday, June 30, 2013

Civil Disobedience

A girl symbolizing the Ukrainian Constitution is "crucified on the cross by the acting power" during a performance called by Guy Fawkes activists in front of the Constitutional Court building in Kiev, Ukraine, on June 27, 2013. The activists call on Ukrainians to take action to defend the Constitution ahead of Constitution Day held on June 28. (STR/AFP/Getty Images)

In Protest - A beautiful and inspiring collection of photos taken in the past few weeks of uprisings and acts of civil disobedience from across the globe. Things seem to have died down here in the US since the height of the Occupy Movement, but I'm hoping that with the warm weather and inspiration from demonstrations abroad people here will continue to fight back against the corruption of power.

Do One Thing  -  I love this page of quotes on civil disobedience (and love the hand drawn portraits!)
"Resistance is feasible even for those who are not heroes by nature, and it is an obligation, I believe, for those who fear the consequences and detest the reality of the attempt to impose American hegemony." - Noam Chomsky

The Department of Peace - I follow Sarah Sophie Flicker on Instagram because I love her glamorous, magical, old-hollywood vibe (and she seems like an awesome mom.) The Dept. of Peace is a website she started with friends Maximilla Lukacs, Tennessee Thomas, and Rebecca Fernandez. It's a platform for creating conscious-changing campaigns to spread awareness about important issues. I like the idea and am interested in seeing where it goes.

In addition to all of the other stuff I post about (photos & family life, herbalism and aromatherapy, recipes, etc), I plan on using this blog to spread awareness about important social issues and abuses of power. I also plan to share the small ways I choose to show resistance in my daily life.  Hope you follow along.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...